MAPI/EWS is a data synchronization protocol bundle that seamlessly syncs SmarterMail Email, Calendars, Contacts, Tasks and Notes with Apple's Mail, Calendars, Contacts, Tasks and Notes apps. (Using the EWS protocol.) NOTE: Before you can configure a mailbox to sync using the MAPI/EWS technology, you must activate the MAPI/EWS add-on.
Follow these steps to set up Apple Mail to sync with SmarterMail via MAPI/EWS:
- On your Mac, open System Preferences.
- Click Internet accounts.
- Click Exchange.
- Complete the display name, full email address and password fields.
- Click Next.
- Type the internal and external URL to your SmarterMail webmail. Your internal and external URLs should be the same and follow this format: http://mail.example.com/ews/exchange.asmx.
- Click Next.
- An account summary screen will display. Click Continue.
- Click Add Account.
Apple Mail is now configured to sync with SmarterMail. Depending on how much data there is to synchronize, the first sync may take a few minutes.
NOTE: For mailboxes that will process and store large volumes of email, it is recommended that they be set up to connect to SmarterMail using IMAP as MAPI/EWS performance suffers when processing large volumes of email.
If you receive a connection error, or if your mail server and web server are on two different machines, you will most likely need to add autodiscover records to your domain's DNS. You'll want to add the following:
- CNAME: autodiscover.[YOUR_DOMAIN]
- SRV: autodiscover._tpc.[YOUR_DOMAIN]