Site administrators can set up exclusions or inclusions to omit or include specific data in reports by adding Log Processing Rules (previously known as Import Filters). These act as pre-filters and allow a sub-site to be created that ignores specific directories, host headers or hits from specific IP addresses. For example, a company may want to exclude their own IP address to ensure that the statistics reported only reflect the activity and behavior of external website visitors.
NOTE: Unlike filter sets, which simply hide the data from specific reports, exclusions and inclusions are processed before logs are analyzed, meaning that SmarterStats acts as if removed rows do not exist in the logs. Excluded data is removed during log file import and is not accessible unless the exclusion/inclusion is removed and the site is re-imported.
Follow these steps to exclude an item during log import:
- Log in as a site administrator.
- Click the Settings icon.
- Expand the Site Settings folder.
- Click General Settings.
- Click the Log Processing Rules tab.
- Click the Add menu in the content pane toolbar and select Log Processing Rule.
- In the Type field, select the appropriate action: Exclude an IP Address, Exclude a Range of IP Addresses, Exclude a File, Exclude a Directory (and children), Include a Directory (others will be ignored), Exclude a Host Header or Include a Host Header.
- In the field below, type in the corresponding IP Address/Range, Path and Filename, Directory or Host Header to be excluded/included from statistics.
- Click OK.
- Click Save.
Learn more about how SmarterStats can help you make sense of your website analytics.