Mail account problems after upgrade to Build 8251
Problem reported by Mark Thornton - 8/14/2022 at 10:04 AM
I upgraded our mail server from 8223 to 8251 last night. This morning I find two accounts show mailbox size as 100 MB (should be 20 GB). Also, the password no longer displays in the user panel, and the display name no longer displays in the user listing even though it can still be seen in the user panel. The accounts are now rejecting email because they are over the size limit. I cannot change the mailbox size limit, or reset the password on the accounts. The time zone setting for the affected accounts is also blank and cannot be reset.

I renamed on of the accounts and set up a new one with the correct name, but I am unable to import the old data because I don't know the password and can reset it. So I have now lost two accounts data, 7.8 GB and 1.7 GB respectively. I now have a big problem.

I see the following in my error log, repeated over and over, starting at 9:45 am local time, but it only relates to one of the problem accounts. The other one does not appear in the logs.

[2022.08.14] 09:45:31.981 [acortez@xxx.com] Password encrypted is null: acortez@xxx.com--not writing file
[2022.08.14] 09:45:31.981 [acortez@xxx.com]    at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
[2022.08.14]    at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
[2022.08.14]    at MailService.Repositories.UserRepository.UserSettingsSaveFile(UserSettingsFile file)
[2022.08.14]    at MailService.Repositories.UserRepository.ApplyUserSettingsFileChanges(Func`2 changesToMakeShouldSave)
[2022.08.14]    at MailService.Mailboxes.VersionFixesCfgManager.Version6Fix(User user)
[2022.08.14]    at MailService.Mailboxes.VersionFixesCfgManager.ApplyFixes(User user, MailboxManager mailboxManager)
[2022.08.14]    at MailService.Mailboxes.MailboxManager.VerifyInitialized(String logicalAddress, String path)
[2022.08.14]    at MailService.Core.Mailman.GetMailboxManager(String logicalAddress, MailboxManager& mm, Boolean createIfNotExist)
[2022.08.14]    at MailService.TcpServerLib.SMTP.SMTPSession.RCPT(String argsText)
[2022.08.14]    at MailService.TcpServerLib.SMTP.SMTPSession.ProcessAsyncCommand(String smtpCommandText)
[2022.08.14]    at MailService.TcpServerLib.SMTP.SMTPSession.ProcessAsyncData(Byte[] memStream)
[2022.08.14]    at MailService.TcpServerLib.Common.PooledTcpItem.ProcessData(Int32 bytes)
[2022.08.14]    at MailService.TcpServerLib.Common.PooledTcpItem.ReceiveData(IAsyncResult res)
[2022.08.14]    at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
[2022.08.14]    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
[2022.08.14]    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
[2022.08.14]    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
[2022.08.14]    at System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
[2022.08.14]    at System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result, IntPtr userToken)
[2022.08.14]    at System.Net.Sockets.BaseOverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
[2022.08.14]    at System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)

2 Replies

Reply to Thread
Mark Thornton Replied
I found I was able to reset the bad account password by impersonating the account and using the password reset in the user control panel. Once that was done I was able to reset the time zone as well. I went back to the domain control panel and was able to reset the mailbox size. I have started an import from the bad account to the new replacement, waiting to see if I have a good account in the end.

I have no idea what caused the problem, and have another account to try the same recovery on. 
Mark Thornton Replied
The following is from the response to my support ticket:

I am sorry to hear that you are seeing an issue with user accounts having there settings reverted and unable to change them. This is an issue with JSON corruption that can happen some times. The best way to resolve this is to replace the file ( settings.json ) for that user from the last good copy in the Archived Data folder for that user or from your own backups. 
This is generally an issue with file locking of the service going down with out releasing the files. 
  • av file locking
  • backups locking hte file
  • server crashes
  • killing the service 
  • power outages. 
Thank you

Reply to Thread