Smartermail 17: Mailing list variables do not work
Problem reported by Jim Dresser - 1/31/2020 at 6:04 PM
Resolved
Everyone,


The current documentation says that I should be able to to add a server variable such as #Sender# to the subject line, and SmarterMail will replace #Sender# with the senders email address when the Mailing List is sent out.

This is not happening.  It doesn't matter if I use the Web interface or Outlook.  #Sender#    is not replaced.  (the text #Sender# does show up, but that's not what I want....

I also tried one other server variable #DomainDateNow#  and that doesn't work either.

I am using ASPNix.com as my email hosting provider but that shouldn't matter.

SmarterMail, please look into this.
Thanks,
Jim

10 Replies

Reply to Thread
0
Jim Dresser Replied
And Smartermail, while you are fixing this issue, please add another server variable called #SenderName#

Many of the people who use my mailing lists do not sign their emails.  So when the mailing list sends out that email, no one knows who sent it.

The ultimate goal is to add the Senders name and email address to the subject line.  like this:


Subject:  [Mailing list name]   #SenderName#, #Sender#          

Subject: [Mailing list name] John Smith  <jsmith@aol.com>    subject text

Thanks, Jim



0
Jim Dresser Replied
SmarterMail, Please comment.....   Bump.....
0
Kyle Kerst Replied
Employee Post
Jim, sorry for the delay on this as I just found your posting. I'm going to set up some testing on this in the morning and will let you know what I come up with. If I'm unable to reproduce we'll need you to submit a support ticket so we can assist in tracking this down. Have a good one!
Kyle Kerst
Technical Support Specialist
SmarterTools Inc.
(877) 357-6278
www.smartertools.com
0
Jim Dresser Replied
Kyle,

Any Progress?   I'm just trying to find out if #Sender# actually puts the true senders email address in the subject line.

When I try this with my email hosting company, it doesn't work.  But they make me manage mailing lists using a control panel rather than using SM directly.  They could have a problem with their control panel....
Thanks,

Jim
0
Kyle Kerst Replied
Employee Post
Hey there Jim, again I apologize for the delay. Last week got a little more busy than expected. I tested this here and found it does appear to work. Both instances of the admin@ (subject and body) address were variable inserts:
Kyle Kerst
Technical Support Specialist
SmarterTools Inc.
(877) 357-6278
www.smartertools.com
0
Jim Dresser Replied
Kyle,

Thanks for your reply, But I can't get this work.  My email hosting provider is using version 100.0.7342.

I've set up the 'Subject Prefix' like this:



(You can see that I'm adding #Sender# to the Subject Prefix).
Yet when the list email is received (in Gmail in this case), it looks like this:



You can see that "#Sender#" is not replaced with the senders email address.  I've tried sending the email from both the web interface and Outlook.  It doesn't matter, in both cases the substitution does not happen.

I've contacted the email hosting company and they say that it appears that it doesn't work, yet you say that it does work...   And I'm stuck in the middle.

Where do  we go from here?  Thanks for your time,
Jim


0
Kyle Kerst Replied
Employee Post
Thanks for following up with me on this Jim. I did another quick test on this including an external gmail address this time around, and found here too the variables are being converted properly. This leads me to believe the issue might involve outgoing gateways and them not handling the variables properly. I think our best bet is to get a support ticket submitted so we can look into this further with you. Have a good one Jim!
Kyle Kerst
Technical Support Specialist
SmarterTools Inc.
(877) 357-6278
www.smartertools.com
1
Sébastien Riccio Replied
Hello Jim and Kyle,

I think you're not doing the same tests.

Jim tries to use the variable in the "Subject prefix" configuration option of the newsletter and the variable is not resolved from here.



Kyle, it seems you are using the variable in the actual subject of a mail you send to the mailing list and, here it is resolved correctly.



Result in received mail with #sender# used in both "Subject prefix" and in the mail subject :



So I think SmarterMail ignores variables specified in the "Subject Prefix" field.
Tested a few minutes ago on latest BETA.

Kind regards


1
echoDreamz Replied
We have users reporting this issue as well. Same problem, the subject prefix does not translate variables.
1
Matt Petty Replied
Employee Post Marked As Resolution
Just wanted to update this thread, we have fixed this issue and it will be in the next BETA. Thanks all for reporting this problem.
Matt Petty
Software Developer
SmarterTools Inc.
(877) 357-6278
www.smartertools.com

Reply to Thread