SM 16 Autoresponder formatting problem
Problem reported by Andrew Stein - June 1, 2017 at 1:21 PM
Resolved
We upgraded to SM 16 a couple weeks ago from 15.  Users are complaining that autoresponders are being received with the formatting visible.  I've tried deleting and retyping in the messages by hand and am still having problems.  Any suggestions?  Below is an example of how they appear.
 
<div><span style="font-family: Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;">I will be out of the office today.&nbsp;</span></div><div><span style="font-family: Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;">If you are a client and need immediate help please email Matt [redacted] or Dana [redacted] /span></div><div><span style="font-family: Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;">If you are a client placing new business accounts please email the new business file to [redacted]  or [redacted] </span></div><div><span style="font-family: Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;"><br></span></div><div><span style="font-family: Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;">Thank you. Dot Dot Peoples</span></div>

19 Replies

Reply to Thread
1
Derek Curtis Replied
Employee Post
Hi, Andrew
 
I will look into this for you. 
Derek Curtis
COO
SmarterTools Inc.
(877) 357-6278
0
Andrew Stein Replied
Thanks! Please let me know if you need any more information.
1
Derek Curtis Replied
Employee Post
Andrew, where are they seeing the unformatted text? Is it in a client or in webmail? I created a vacation message and tested in Gmail and in Windows Mail, and it's all looking like it should: formatted HTML. 
Derek Curtis
COO
SmarterTools Inc.
(877) 357-6278
0
Andrew Stein Replied
I'm seeing this in GMail, SM's webmail and Outlook 2016. I just did a test on my own address and received this in Outlook:

<div>I will be out of the office from 10/5/2011 until 10/10/2011. Please direct any problems or inquiries to Drew or Bryan at <redacted>. Thank you. -Andrew Stein</div>
0
Andrew Stein Replied
This line is in the headers:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

Originally it was this, but I text encoding from from European ISO to UTF-8

Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=iso-8859-1
0
Andrew Stein Replied
Also, if I send from my webmail, it formats correctly:

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
0
Andrew Stein Replied
OK, I found the issue, but am not sure how to fix it. In my userConfig.xml I see:
<ishtml>False</ishtml>

I tried to change it to True, but it just got switched back to False.

However, I created a new user as a test. By default, the config showed <ishtml>is true. When I enabled the autoresponder and sent a test, I received it formatted correctly. I guess the question is, how do we change ishtml to True for existing users?

0
Andrew Stein Replied
If I delete the userConfig.xml and bounce the service, it works. <ishtml> is True and I receive autoresponders correctly.

I think I have to do this for every user who was existing when I upgraded. Is there an easier way to take care of this then having to delete (or possibly edit) ever user config file?
0
Andrew Stein Replied
I did another test where I stopped the service, edited the config, and restarted it. That worked too. However, I'm still hoping to get an automated way to fix all of my users as that will take long time if I have to do this on a one-by-one case.
2
Andrew Stein Replied
For those that are interested, I solved it by:
1.  stopping the SM service
2.  using Notepad++'s Find feature to search all documents named userConfig.xml for <ishtml>False</ishtml> and change it to <ishtml>True</ishtml> (notepaed++ must be run as an administrator)
3. starting the SM service.
 
Took me 30 seconds or so to complete.
1
Derek Curtis Replied
Employee Post
Andrew, Thanks for the instructions. I'm still going to have the developers look into the upgrade issue..it's like there may be a setting that's not carrying over from 15.x. 
Derek Curtis
COO
SmarterTools Inc.
(877) 357-6278
0
Andrew Stein Replied
No problem. Please let me know if you want any logs or any other information.
0
amir bijani Replied
is there any way to apply it on the whole users? we have a lot of users and we cant do that for all of them one by one!
0
amir bijani Replied
is there any way to apply it on the whole users? we have a lot of users and we cant do that for all of them one by one!
please answer .
tnx
0
Andrew Stein Replied
Follow the steps above. Make sure you have Notepad++ installed.
0
Elazar Broad Replied
You could do this en masse via PowerShell:
 
$domainPath = "path\to\your\domain\folder"
Get-ChildItem -Path $domainPath -Filter userConfig.xml -Recurse -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue | ForEach-Object { 
    [xml]$userConfig = Get-Content $_.FullName
    if ($userConfig.UserDataSet.AutoResponders.ishtml.ToLowerInvariant() -eq 'false') {
        $userConfig.UserDataSet.AutoResponders.ishtml = 'True'
        $userConfig.Save($_.FullName)
    }
}
 
0
amir bijani Replied
i did that Adnrew, but i wanted a way to do it for all. not one by one, think that you have 1000 clients! are you do that one by one and all the time smartermail should be stopped!
0
Andrew Stein Replied
No, what I'm saying is that these steps will search ALL of the userConfig.xml files for <ishtml>False</ishtml> and replace them all with <ishtml>True</ishtml>
It will convert all of your users in one shot.
2
Robert Emmett Replied
Employee Post
We have added an option to enable / disable HTML for autoresponders.  This fix will be included in tomorrow's release.
Robert Emmett
Software Developer
SmarterTools Inc.
(877) 357-6278
www.smartertools.com

Reply to Thread