Hit ENTER after each Tag to add it to your post; Numbers in parentheses represent the Tag's usage.
Im migrating to a new server/datacentre, I have approx 250GB of users data in the domains folder so backing this up takes quite a while and just wanted to get some ideas on best way to do this.
here is what i have done so far, I have new server setup and latest smartermail installed along with SSL certificate etc, I have put it on the same hostname and i am able to access it from one of my pc's by adding its IP in the HOSTS file. TTL of the server name is 15 mins so when i come to change the ip addresses there will be minimal disruption and done at night.
the problem is backing up and moving the backup file, we have a 100mb leased line where our old/current server is but to move 200+gb over that will take a while.
this is my thought...
- Do a full backup (hopefully server can remain online when this is done as it takes a few hours?)
- transfer large backup file while old server is still online
- close mail services off on current server and do differential backup (smaller probably 2gb so only take 10 mins to transfer)
- restore folders/files on new server and start mail services
- change ip address for mail server hostname
thats my thinking.... would that work?
thanks for your support