Looks like this is a pretty old thread -- 1 year-old to the day. Well, it got bounced to the top so I'll share my thoughts regarding Auto-complete:
Why does it add addresses from Sent Items? This just creates thousands of useless entries:
- many are 1-time use, never to be used again
- many are outdated as people change email addresses over the years
- many are duplicated -- if they are already in Contacts, it adds them again???
So, let's say you want to clean the junk from this list:
- who knows about Auto-Complete under Settings->Advanced Settings? (most expect to find them in Contacts)
- don't try to sort by Email Address or Display Name in ascending order because it only works when it's in descending order???
- you can select Contacts to delete, but you can't delete them (same with GAL).
The one redeeming feature -- when you search for people named Hillary, select all the Hillary records, and click Delete, it only deletes the selected records, not your entire address book like it does in the Contacts section:
In summary, don't bother changing/fixing any of the above items. Remove this separate Auto-Complete list and just use Contacts instead. There is no need for a separate auto-complete list. If a user wants addresses to show up in auto-complete, they can add them to Contacts. Simple.