New migrated server not sending or receiving
Question asked by Neal Barnett - August 11, 2014 at 8:46 AM
Unanswered
Hi -
 
I created a ticket for this problem, but thought I'd throw it out to see if anyone has suggestions.
 
I moved my SmarterMail 12 from a Cloud-based Win 2008 R2 server to a cloud Win 2012 R2 server. I followed exactly the knowledgebase article for moving servers, copying the xml and dat files, and c:\SmarterMail\Domains folder and sub-folders, after installing SmarterMail 12.3.5318. Since the new cloud server has 2 40GB SSD drives, I made the 2nd volume a folder in the C Drive called c:\Smartermail, to avoid having to change any configuration settings.
After changing the DNS to the new server's IP, I ran SmarterMail's self diagnostics, and everything Passed, including the folder permissions. I also used http://mxtoolbox.com to make sure all MX and SMTP settings were correct. All tests passed.
 
So, everything was fine as far as I could tell - I could do a web login for both admin and for my email account and everything appear normal. But I could not send or receive emails at all. At that point, I ran through the tests in the "Cannot Send/Receive Outgoing/Incoming Email Messages" KB articles - and again, everything passed.
 
I tried shutting off my Symantec Endpoint Protection to see if that was the problem and still no emails.
 
My firewall settings are the same as with my old server, so that doesn't appear to be the problem.
 
Something is getting through, as shown in the SM SMTP log (xxx.116.126.yyy is my IP):
00:09:16 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] rsp: 220 mail.fortsystems.com
00:09:16 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] connected at 8/11/2014 12:09:16 AM
00:09:16 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] cmd: EHLO CYBERPOWER1
00:09:16 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] rsp: 250-mail.fortsystems.com Hello [xxx.116.126.yyy]250-SIZE 83886080250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5250-STARTTLS250 OK
00:09:16 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] cmd: STARTTLS
00:09:16 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] rsp: 220 Start TLS negotiation
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] cmd: EHLO CYBERPOWER1
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] rsp: 250-mail.fortsystems.com Hello [xxx.116.126.yyy]250-SIZE 83886080250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5250 OK
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] cmd: AUTH LOGIN
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] rsp: 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] Authenticating as nealb@fortsystems.com
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] rsp: 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] rsp: 235 Authentication successful
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] Authenticated as nealb@fortsystems.com
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] cmd: MAIL FROM: <nealb@fortsystems.com>
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] rsp: 250 OK <nealb@fortsystems.com> Sender ok
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] cmd: RCPT TO: <nbarn@signonsystemsinc.com>
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] rsp: 250 OK <nbarn@signonsystemsinc.com> Recipient ok
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] cmd: DATA
00:09:17 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] rsp: 354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
00:09:18 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] rsp: 250 OK
00:09:18 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] Data transfer succeeded, writing mail to 22438022.eml
00:09:20 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] cmd: QUIT
00:09:20 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] rsp: 221 Service closing transmission channel
00:09:20 [xxx.116.126.yyy][55173415] disconnected at 8/11/2014 12:09:20 AM
 
And the POP log shows multiple entries like this:
[2014.08.11] 00:04:20 [xxx.116.126.yyy][36183213] connected at 8/11/2014 12:04:20 AM
[2014.08.11] 00:04:20 [xxx.116.126.yyy][36183213] disconnected at 8/11/2014 12:04:20 AM
 
But no emails appear in any Inbox.  And no sent emails going to a test Gmail account ever appear in the Gmail account, even though the sent email appears in my domain/user/sent folder.
 
If you could offer some suggestions to resolve this, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Neal
 

1 Reply

Reply to Thread
1
Neal Barnett Replied
Just to follow-up with the solution -
 
I had Declude installed on my old server, but had not installed it yet on my new Server.  Instead, I wanted to test the new server first.  So, since I had Declude activated within SmarterMail, but didn't have it installed, all of the emails (Sent and Received) were being put in Declude's pre-spool folder \SmarterMail\Spool\proc.  Declude's job is to move those emails from the proc folder to the Spool folder after reviewing them, so that SmarterMail can process them.  But that was never happening.
 
After I installed Declude on the new server, emails started flowing immediately.
 
Neal
 
 

Reply to Thread