Administrators can specify a domain's location for email delivery, choosing whether to deliver email locally or to the externally hosted domain. Furthermore, administrators have the option to override the external delivery for those users who exist on the SmarterMail server.
For example, imagine that you manage multiple mail servers. Under the same domain, some users exist locally in SmarterMail (used internally only), while others belong to a different mail server, like Exchange (used for public communication). By pointing the domain's location to the Exchange server and choosing the option to deliver locally if the user exists, you could accurately deliver that domain's email to both mail servers.
Applies to SmarterMail Enterprise 14.x-15.x
Follow the steps below to mark a domain as hosted externally:
- Log into SmarterMail as the System Administrator.
- Click the Domains icon.
- Select the desired domain and click Edit in the content pane toolbar.
- Click the Options tab.
- Using the Domain Location setting, choose the appropriate option:
- External (use MX record) - Messages will be delivered based on an MX lookup.
- External (use host address) - Messages will be delivered to the specified host address. The host address can be entered as the IP address or Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN)
- If desired, check the setting to Deliver locally if user exists.
- Click Save.
Learn more about SmarterMail’s enterprise email features and benefits.