A Disposable Address is a randomly generated address, completely independent of a user’s current email address. This address acts as a timed alias, forwarding mail to the designated folder for however long specified. When the time limit has been reached, the address is no longer valid and mail will not reach the mailbox. This is useful when you only need a temporary sign up or don’t want to give out your email address and possibly get inundated with spam messages.
Follow the steps below to create a Disposable Address:
- Log into SmarterMail as an end user or Domain Administrator.
- Click the Email icon.
- On the Button Bar, at the bottom of your list of folders, click the Disposable Address icon. (It looks like a masked man.)
- Select Disposable Address from the menu.
- Choose the Folder from the dropdown list of email folders. For the Time, choose a value between 1 and 24 hours. NOTE: Though a Disposable Address has a max time of 24 hours, the time limit can be extended by four hours by clicking the Extend button. To end a disposables address' life cycle, click the Revoke button.
- Click Next.
- On the next screen you can select to Revoke, Extend, or Close.