The steps for upgrading SmarterMail from an older version of the application vary depending on which version you are upgrading from. For instructions on how to perform a major version upgrade (such as SmarterMail 15.x; 14.x or 13.x and earlier versions) refer to the knowledge base article -- Major Upgrade of SmarterMail.
NOTE: Before following the instructions in this article, make sure the appropriate Microsoft .NET Framework is installed for the version to which you will be upgrading, based on the version's System Requirements. (Versions 14.x and newer require the .NET 4.5 Framework.)
Follow these steps to upgrade to the latest version of SmarterMail if you are upgrading from a previous release (for example from SmarterMail 15.0 to SmarterMail 15.1). NOTE: All configuration data and emails are preserved when performing a minor version upgrade.
- Back up your SmarterMail installation and data.
- Uninstall your current version of SmarterMail.
- Download the latest automated installer from the SmarterMail Downloads page.
- If you are running SmarterMail as an IIS site, stop IIS.
- Run the SmarterMail installer.
- During the installation process, you will be prompted for the installation path. In order to keep existing data and settings, install to the same path used in previous installs. For reference, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\SmarterTools\SmarterMail.
- If you are running SmarterMail as an IIS site, restart IIS.