SmarterMail provides the option to configure spam checks for outbound messages and block an email's delivery if a certain number of those spam checks fail. This is extremely useful in the event that an account on the SmarterMail server is compromised and being used as a spam relay. By configuring outbound spam checks, you can help prevent your mail server from being blacklisted.
How it works: Imagine you have four spam checks enabled for Outgoing SMTP Blocking and each of those spam checks has a weight of 10. If the Outgoing Weight Threshold is set to 30, that means messages being sent via SMTP will be rejected if they fail three or all four of those spam checks.
To use SMTP Blocking to prevent spam messages from leaving your server, you'll need to a.) enable STMP Blocking and configure its weight thresholds, then b.) enable the individual spam checks for outgoing SMTP blocking.
a.) Follow these steps to enable STMP Blocking and configure its weight thresholds:
- Log into SmarterMail as a System Administrator.
- In the navigation pane, click on Antispam.
- In the Options tab, find the SMTP Blocking card and enable Outgoing Weight Threshold.
- The default weight value for outgoing blocking is set to 30. This means that any outgoing email with a total spam weight of 30 will trigger the email to be blocked. Adjust this as desired.
- Click Save.
b.) Follow these steps to enable individual spam checks for outgoing SMTP blocking:
- Within the Antispam section, click on the Spam Checks tab.
- Edit each spam check that should be used for SMTP blocking, and toggle the slider to the right for Enable for Outgoing SMTP Blocking. (Note: Because SMTP blocks are done at the IP level and not based on message content, some spam checks do not offer outgoing SMTP blocking. Checks that are not available for outgoing SMTP blocking are denoted with ‘N/A’.)
- Adjust and Save the spam check weights as desired. Keep in mind that the weights for each spam check that has Outgoing SMTP Blocking enabled will be summed together. If that total weight exceeds the Outgoing Weight Threshold that's configured for SMTP Blocking, the email will be blocked from delivery.
Learn more about using SmarterMail for your email accounts and company-wide chat.