Outgoing gateways can be used to reduce the load on the primary server by using a secondary server to process outgoing mail. Setting prioritization on these gateways can be especially useful for environments where multiple gateways are used.
Follow these steps to configure outgoing gateway prioritization:
- Log into SmarterMail as a System Administrator.
- Configure an outgoing gateway server by following the steps listed in the KB article: Configure SmarterMail as a Free Gateway Server. If you already have an existing Outgoing Gateway configured, simply edit the gateway from the Settings icon. Be sure to select a Priority level of Low, Normal or High. For this example, the priority level will be set to Normal.
- Click on the Manage icon.
- In the Domains section, click on the domain that will be used with the outgoing gateway. The domain configuration settings will display.
- On the Priority and Throttling card, modify the Standard Message Priority to match the outgoing gateway's priority. Following our example above, the domain priority should be set to Normal.
- Click Save.
- Repeat steps 3-6 for each domain that needs to send over the outgoing gateway with the same priority range.
NOTE: Messages posted to mailing lists are set to a Low prioritization by default, allowing the normal email traffic to be delivered first.