The file storage feature allows users to store files on the SmarterMail server. These files can be made public or password protected so other users (even non-SmarterMail users) can download them when needed and is very useful for sending large attachments without causing the spool to slow.
NOTE: Files stored count toward the user's disk space. If a file exceeds the disk space size limit the user will be unable to upload the file.
Configuring File Storage
Follow these steps to enable file storage for all domains on the server:
- Log in to SmarterMail as a system administrator.
- Click the Settings icon in the menu at the top.
- From the Settings menu at the left, select General Settings.
- On the File Storage card, there are a few options you can set:
- Max File Size (KB) is the maximum size, in kilobytes, for files uploaded by users to their file storage area. Limiting the max size for files can help preserve a user's total disk space usage plus it can keep things like movie files, music, etc. from being uploaded. (Though that can be handled with with Extension Blacklist more efficiently.)
- Root Webmail URL is the root URL used for sharing download links in SmarterMail. By default, this will match your hostname, but it can be changed as needed.
- Extension Blacklist allows system administrators to limit the types of files that can be uploaded to file storage. For example, adding .mov, .avi, mp4, etc. and limit the ability for users to upload movie files and share them.
- Once you've made any necessary edits, be sure to click Save.
For more information, please refer to the SmarterMail Online Help.