SmarterStats uses a very efficient and accurate geographic engine based on databases provided by MaxMind. These databases are very accurate and correctly identify most traffic hitting your server. Because geo-location data changes frequently, SmarterStats will release a new update of these databases with every minor release of SmarterStats.
For those requiring constant, up-to-date geo-location data, MaxMind makes available a premium database that is updated monthly. In addition, the premium database takes into account dial-up services like AOL and Earthlink. Download/purchase the MaxMind premium database compatible with SmarterStats.
For questions regarding the premium MaxMind GeoIP Region Database, please contact MaxMind. SmarterTools does not directly support the MaxMind databases.
Follow these steps to install the premium database updates:
- Download the latest binary format distribution of the region database.
- Using a product like WinZip or WinRar, extract the file to a temporary directory.
- Locate a file named something similar to "GeoIPRegion-###.dat" and rename it to "GeoIPRegion.dat"
- Stop the SmarterStats service.
- Copy the file to your C:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterStats\Service directory.
- Restart SmarterStats.
Learn more about how SmarterStats can help you make sense of your website analytics.