On occasion, system administrators may need to move a domain from one SmarterMail server to another. This may occur due to hard drive space limitations or because of email volume for the domain.
Follow these steps to move a SmarterMail domain to another server:
- Make a back up copy of the DomainList.xml and the domains folder before starting.
- Stop SmarterMail on both servers.
- Locate the domain’s folder. By default, this folder can be found at C:\SmarterMail\Domains\[domain-name].
- Move this folder from the old server to the new server.
- Edit the domainList.xml file with Notepad on the old server. By default, this file can be found at C:\Program Files\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\Service.
- Locate this line:
<Domain name="MyDomain.com" directory="c:\SmarterMail\Domains\MyDomain.com" />
- Cut this line from the file and save the file.
- Make a backup of the domainList.xml on the new server.
- Edit the domainList.xml with Notepad on the new server.
- Paste the line you cut before into this document.
- Save the file.
- Start the SmarterMail service on both servers.
- Modify the primary MX record to the new IP. This can take up to 24-48 hours for replication.