A hosting company may want to create a standard installation template that retains the settings and configurations of their standard SmarterMail image to simplify deployment of the software on multiple servers. Thanks to the flexible architecture of SmarterMail, manually installing the software is a simple process: Create a manual installer and then install the software.
Applies to SmarterMail 7.x - 15.x
Creating a Manual Installer
Follow these steps to create a manual installer for SmarterMail:
- Contact the Sales team to get the latest version of the MSI installer and install it on a server.
- Configure the desired settings for the installation.
- Use a zip program to zip up the SmarterMail folder that was created during the installation process. This zip file will serve as the SmarterMail manual installer. NOTE: The default installation path for SmarterMail is C:\Program Files\SmarterTools\SmarterMail.
Manually Installing SmarterMail
After creating the manual installer, follow these steps to install SmarterMail:
- Identify the server(s) on which you want to manually install SmarterMail.
- Unzip the manual installer you created to the appropriate server(s). SmarterTools recommends unzipping the files to the default installation path for SmarterMail, which is C:\Program Files\SmarterTools\SmarterMail.
- Register the SmarterMail service in Windows by opening a command prompt and entering the appropriate command under the folder that the unzipped files were saved to:
- If running 32-bit, enter this command: c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v4.0.30319\installutil.exe /i mailservice.exe
- If running 64-bit, enter this command instead: c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework64\v4.0.30319\installutil.exe /i mailservice.exe
- Start the mail service using Service Snap-in or by entering the following command: net start mailservice
- To ensure access to the webmail interface, set up SmarterMail as an IIS site. For instructions, refer to the KB article Set Up SmarterMail as an IIS Site in IIS 7.0.
Congratulations, SmarterMail is now installed on the server(s).
Learn more about SmarterMail's enterprise email features and benefits.