Exchange Web Services (EWS) is a newer data synchronization protocol that seamlessly syncs SmarterMail messages, contacts and calendars with Microsoft Outlook 2011 for Mac.
NOTE: Before you can configure a mailbox to sync using the Exchange Web Service technology, you must activate the Exchange Web Services add-on. For more information, please refer to the KB article Activate Exchange Web Services.
Applies to All Enterprise Versions of SmarterMail
Follow these steps to set up Outlook to sync using Exchange Web Services:
- Open Outlook.
- Open the Outlook menu and select Preferences.
- Click the Accounts icon.
- Click the Exchange icon which will open a new window.
- Enter the users email address.
- Set the Method to "User Name and Password."
- Enter the full email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) as the username.
- Enter the associated password in the password field.
- Uncheck the Configure automatically checkbox.
- In the Server field, enter the URL used to connect to your SmarterMail installation. For example, http://mail.example.com
- Click Add Account.
Outlook is now configured to sync with SmarterMail. The initial sync may take a few minutes if there is a lot of data.
NOTE: For mailboxes that will process and store large volumes of email, it is recommended that they be set up to connect to SmarterMail using IMAP as EWS performance suffers when processing large volumes of email.
For more information, please refer to the SmarterMail Online Help.